10 Minute Laptop Sleeve Tutorial



article by: crazylittleprojects.com

I just bought myself a new laptop! Actually I didn’t even have a laptop before that, just a desktop, which is silly for a blogger who makes a living on a computer. I am loving having a laptop. I have discovered the joy of heading to a local bakery, getting hot chocolate and working for a couple of hours while all of my kids are in school. It’s fantastic! When I take my laptop, it’s handy to have a sleeve to slide it in to protect it when I am on the go. This laptop sleeve can be made in about 10 minutes. And it costs less than AED 30 to make!



It’s just a simple felt sleeve that will fit around your laptop-no matter what size-and Velcro closed and then slide into a bag for you to take with you.



Seriously, this thing is simple.




Laptop Sleeve Pattern

Supplies Needed:

- About 1/2 yard of felt (this could vary slightly depending on the size of your laptop. Get more if you want to be safe.)
- Small pieces of Velcro





Instructions:

Start out by laying your laptop on your felt. You will want to cut a piece of felt that is about an inch and a half wider than your computer, or in other words, has a 3/4 inch excess on each side of your computer.

So my computer is 12 1/2 inches by about 9 inches, so I want my sleeve to be about 14 inches by 10 1/2 inches.



I doubled up the felt to make the sleeve more cushiony. If you prefer a slimmer sleeve, just do one layer. I will continue this tutorial assuming that the double layer.

Cut 2 pieces according to the measurements above that will work for your computer.

Then cut 2 more pieces that are the same width but are about 6-7 inches longer. This will create your flap.

Pin all 4 pieces together with the two smaller ones in front and the two bigger in back. (Note-I rounded out the corners on mine because I like the look of round corners better. You can do this if you would like or leave them square.)

Sew all the way around the outside of the case. Part of this will have you sewing through 4 layers and part through just 2. Use as small of a seam allowance as you can.



Then you will need to sew across just the two layers that go across the middle, being careful that you ONLY sew through those two and not the rest of the sleeve. Sorry, forgot to take a picture of how to do this, but here is one from another tutorial that is the same idea:



Sew across that center section.

Then, trim the excess all the way around the sleeve to give it a nice, straight, clean finish.

Grab your Velcro pieces and figure out where you want them. Two will go on the underside of the flap near the top and then fold the flap down and mark where they meet up with the sleeve and sew your other pieces there:



And that’s it! You are already done! Hopefully that was quick and easy for you and hopefully you can really enjoy this sleeve! Grab some hot chocolate while you work on your laptop. It makes life happy!





credits to: crazylittleprojects.com


http://mysewingmall.com/

Comments