Fabric Hexagon and Embroidery Pillow



Fabric Hexagon and Embroidery Pillow

Have you ever tried sewing up hexagons? I have been wanting to give them a try for quite a while now and I decided it was finally time to jump in and go for it!

And I have to say – I am hooked! I love doing hand sewing anyway – you can tell that by the number of embroidery projects around here. Paper pieced hexagons are kind of like the same things but with fabric – you get to make this cute little shape in just a few minutes and you can use them in so many different ways!




I was able to combine my new love for hexagons and some fun embroidery in this cute pillow.

I made up the hexes from the fabrics in the line and then pulled some of the designs in the fabric for the flower and butterflies in the embroidery – I love combining embroidery with styles from the fabrics I’m using!



Here’s a quick tutorial to make your own!




Materials Needed:

- Fat quarters from Curiosities
- 16″ square of linen
- 1/2″ yard of fabric for back of pillow
- Coordinating embroidery thread – three colors
- 16″ pillow form
- 1 1/2″ hexagon paper piece patterns
- Embroidery marking pen
- Thread to match


Start by sewing up your hexagons. You’ll need enough to make two rows that measure at least 16″ long.



Lay the hexagons on the left side of the linen square. On the right side, draw out your design from the fabrics. I did this awesome flower decorated with little x’s and three little butterflies.



Embroidery the design. I used a chain stitch for the outline of the flower, stem and leaves and back stitches for the butterflies.



Hand sew the rows of hexagons to the left side of the pillow front.



Create 2 yards of piping by cutting strips of fabric that are 1 1/2″ wide and an assortment of lengths long. Sew the strips together, then sew them around cotton piping.



Pin the piping around the edge of the pillow front, so the piping seam allowance lines up with the edges of the pillow front. Sew in place around the pillow.



Create an envelope back for the pillow by cutting a piece of fabric 16″ x 10″ and a piece 16″ x 8″. Hem the top of the 8″ piece and the bottom of the 10″ piece. Overlap the larger piece of the smaller so the two pieces make an 16″ square.



Place the back of the pillow face down on the pillow front and sew around all four sides, right up against the piping. A zipper foot works great for this.

Turn the pillow cover right side out and press.



That’s it!

Now you’ve got a super cute new pillow cover all decorated up with colorful fabrics. This would be such a great gift too!









I’d love to see a photo if you make one up!


credits to: flamingotoes.com


https://mysewingmall.com/

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete


  2. It’s very good blog! For sharing content and such nice information for me. I hope you will share some more content about. Please keep sharing!pillow cover

    ReplyDelete
  3. mynd fintech provides Supply chain finance solutions, visit us for finance related issues.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the guide. I often used to make such kind of pillows during the lockdown. At that time me and my family also moved from hisar, with packers and movers hisar.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment