How to Embroider Your Own Buttons



It feels like ages since I've had the chance to post an embroidery project, but as soon as I heard we were doing buttons, I knew I could work my crafty love into the theme. Here are three ways to add embroidery to fabric-covered buttons, turning them from simple button to art piece in less than an hour.





Here's what you'll need:

- Scrap Fabric (solids or patterns, whatever you like)
- Circle Template or Compass and Paper
- Pencil
- Embroidery Floss (I used six-strand floss for the bunny and flower and pearl cotton floss for the lazy daisies)
- Needles
- Covered-Button Kit (I used a 1-1/2-inch button kit)







Three different techniques make three beautiful buttons.

Top: Bunny, following the pattern from a bunny-printed fabric.

Middle: Poppy, a freehand drawing.

Bottom: Lazy Daisies and French knots.


I used 1-1/2-inch covered-button forms. For a button this size, you will need a circle that's 2-1/2 inches in diameter. If you use a different size button, use the pattern on the back of the package as the guide for the circle you need to draw.




1. Use the printed pattern on your fabric for your embroidery.

This works best with small, defined patterns like the bunny-printed fabric I had in my scrap box. Make sure the featured part of your pattern is centered and will fit on the front of your button.



Draw a circle around the part of the pattern you want to feature on your button.


Make sure that that area is in or near the center of your circle so that it doesn't get tucked into your button when you add the back.



In the spirit of spring, I decided to fill in one of the bunnies from the fabric's print. I used three strands of white floss and used a split stitch for the fill.



I outlined my bunny using a split stitch and a single strand of dark brown floss.


Use contrasting colors to make your embroidery pop!



The finished bunny button.





2. Draw your own pattern onto the fabric.

This works best on a solid-color fabric or a fabric with a muted pattern.



Draw your circle and sketch out a pattern inside it. Flowers are good because they're a nice and easy shape that most anyone can draw. I picked a poppy.



I used an altered long/short stitch to fill in the bloom of the poppy and a stacked fly stitch for the leaf.


To do the stacked fly stitch, begin with a detached chain stitch, then start your next stitch on the side of your chain, bringing it over to the other side of the chain. Bring your floss up through the fabric at the locking stitch of your chain.



Finish the stitch by bringing your floss down on the outside of your stitch. Repeat until your leaf is full.



I filled the center of my poppy with French knots and outlined the whole thing with a split stitch using three strands of dark brown floss.



The finished poppy button.





3. Doodle-stitch your button cover.

This one is great for a nice quick stitch-up. I used lazy daisies and French knots.



The simplest of the buttons, lazy daisies and French knots. I used pearl cotton floss for this because it doesn't separate like its six-strand sibling. I also stitched most of the circle so that the stitches wrap around to the back of the button.



In no time, you'll have beautiful embroidered buttons just waiting to adorn your wanting jacket or sweater. How wonderful!


credits to: craftstylish.com


https://mysewingmall.com/

Comments

Post a Comment