Tutorial: Tin Can Caddy



Before I start working on really big projects, I take the time to clean and organize my studio. Here's a tin can caddy that I just finished to help me organize my daily go-to art supplies.



And on a lazy Susan...Oh my, it doesn't get any better.




Here's a photo of the caddy super loaded up, with all my stuff. This caddy can hold tons!



And I love having the outer cans up off the ground/lazy Susan because as you can see it leaves me a bit of space for my favorite ink pads and spools of thread.




Crafting Tutorial:

Collect or gather 8 or so small to medium size tin cans and 1 large coffee can.



Measure the height and circumference of all the outer cans and cut coordinating fabric to these dimensions. Next, slather a coat of Mod Podge to the outside and wrap and adhere the fabric to the cans.



Then put a coat of Mod Podge on the outside of the can. Set aside to dry. Paint the coffee can with gesso and sand lightly. Some of my cans had rust on the inside, so I sponged on some gesso there as well.



Arrange the small cans around the coffee can (looks super cute like this, but I knew I needed to have the cans up off the ground).



Mark the inside of the coffee can, where you want the small cans to hang.



Using an awl and a hammer, punch 2 holes in the smaller cans, close to the top rim.



And then punch the coordinating holes in the coffee can.



Next, thread a small length of wire, from the inside of the small cans, then into the coordinating hole of the coffee can.



And with pliers, twist the wire on the inside to secure the small cans.



And ... you're done.




Hint: I did place 2 small tin cans, on wooden blocks, in the coffee can to raise the scissors and screwdrivers up and within reach!

Happy organizing!


credits to: cynthiashaffer.typepad.com


Comments