DIY: Make Your own Stitch Reference Guide

These days our sewing machines can do so much more than the basic straight stitch.  To help keep stitches straight, I suggest create an easy stitch card reference guide.  This guide can provide an instant visual reference for your next project.  I especially love these cards for my serger machine.  They are simple to make and can be created with leftover fabric scraps.
Create an easy stitch card reference book for a quick visual guide.  The Sewing Loft

  Create a Stitch Card Reference Book


This project is for stitchers of all levels.
Skill Level- 1 Button
button
Tools:
Basic Instructions:
  1. Cut scrap fabric into squares. I cut mine 4″ by 4″ but any size will work.
  2. Pull out and refer to the owners manual to your machine. This will help you set your stitches properly.Create a stitch card reference book for a quick visual guide.  The Sewing Loft
  3. Select a stitch and sew around all four sides of the fabric square.  Repeat this process for each stitch your machine offers. 
  4. Label each fabric square with the correct stitch name and any additional notes you would like to remember.Create a stitch card reference book for a quick visual guide.  The Sewing Loft
  5. Layer your stitch cards together and run a stitch in the upper corner to create a stitch card book.Create a stitch card reference book for a quick visual guide.  The Sewing Loft
Think of this new reference tool as your “little black book” of stitches.  I like to keep my book tucked away with my machine.  This way, when it’s late and I’m trying to remember just how much bigger the 3 thread overlock wide stitch is compared to the 3 thread narrow stitch, I can just pull out my book and look at them side by side. It really keeps things simple!
Create an easy stitch card reference book for a quick visual guide.  The Sewing Loft

Comments